Monday, January 24, 2011

Wedding Gab

It's been a month since Jordan proposed and I accepted. Since then, we've researched venues, attended bridal shows (overwhelming), refined our vision, rethought our vision, redefined it, and returned.

The one thing that's been amazing is how much everybody wants to help! My mom's cousin Caryn has been sending me links to various contests. We've already won a beautiful set of toasting flutes from Lenox! My aunt Teresa has really been helping us articulate what we want and my sweet neighbor has taken it upon himself to give us free reign over his gay-rage of decor, give us amazing ideas, and even offer himself as an amateur caterer.

We're still waiting to hear back from the church so that we can set a date, but we're looking at mid-October. We found an awesome photographer that we're going to meet with this Sunday, have already started a contract for a cake with a bakery in Dickson, and have picked out Save the Dates (waiting on the deacon at church to get back with us so we can actually buy them). We even bought placecard favors that are amazing. :)

We have ideas about what we want. Decor and details should reflect who we are as a couple. Mom has been advocating that Jordan and I sit down and write out our vision for the wedding so that we aren't forced into compromise by well-meaning people who only want to help, and so that we can better articulate our wants. I've found that I have a lot of difficulty articulating what I want. Like I said, we have strong ideas, but I hate the feeling I get when I put one of my ideas out there and get a less-than-excited reaction from well-intentioned but outspoken folk.


The thing that's most overwhelming to me (of all things) is table linens and chair covers! Table linens are ridiculously priced, both to rent and to purchase. Should we get linen napkins as well? The cost is astounding. We found a place in Memphis that rented covers for $1 a chair (plus set up fees), but none that we've seen in Nashville have been that inexpensive! Am I being ridiculous for wanting chair covers? Should I just suck it up and go with the uncovered reinforced plastic folding chairs that come stock with the reception hall? Is it really that big of a deal? I bet chair covers will look crazy anyway. At least the plastic folding chairs are aerodynamic and simple. 

The wedding, when it finally arrives in October, will reflect who Jordan and I are as a couple. It won't be perfect, but it will be amazing because not only will it be the culmination of ten months of preparation, but because it will also mark the beginning of our forever. That's all that will really matter when we look back on our wedding album in ten, twenty, thirty or more years. 

2 comments:

  1. One suggestion in regards to table linens is to purchase some from Sams. We bought the restaurant style washable lines from Sams for about $11/tablecloth. We were then able to sell most of them to another friend who was getting married after us. However, Sams really only had linens in white. If you're wanting colored linens then you may have to rent. Also, check out craigslist because sometimes people post they're leftover wedding gear on it. Finally, Michaels is a great place to get some wedding gear and they are always doing 40% off coupons. Good luck with the wedding plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer! We've been looking on ebay and such for linens. We've found a few lots, but I'm just not sure what we're going to do!

    ReplyDelete